A Best of the Web blog

Preview

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Outlawing Police Chokeholds is a Wise but Only a First Step

Outlawing chokeholds is the first wise move I've seen. But there are laws and when and if they are followed. U.S. police abuse has been endemic for many years. The tragedy of George Floyd is disturbing and unconscionable. The more power police are given, the worse it has gotten. Even I have experienced police abuse several times, and I am a white-appearing university professor. My bi-racial friends and students have been afraid to walk down streets, and during my lifetime, even to visit my parents without being stopped, searched, and worse. As abusive as police have been, the move to curtail police power is a significant first step, but only a first step. And will it hold? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *