A Best of the Web blog

Preview

Thursday, March 16, 2017

March Madness: Athletic Prowess, Money or Luck?

So when I developed the Writing Center at a University which is a highlight of this year's March Madness, I was supposed to meet with basketball players who sometimes had to be literally walked to my office by a coach or other trainer. Professors, who would come to me to discuss the athletes' progress, would roll their eyes toward administration and say, "I don't know how I can give higher than a 'C'."
     But I tend to see the potential in just about everyone.  And, really, except for the fact that they had to miss so many classes for out-of-town games, I didn't think of any of those almost famous basketball stars as academic failures.
     As for exploited, perhaps they were/are. The system, like many in the US, seemed/seems
just another American game of luck, chance, and appearance (or lack of) seemingly magical mentors (as in tales like "Lord of the Rings," written, by the way, by a University professor). But it's true. Not only how athletically gifted are you, but who comes along to help your career and how well-intentioned are they?
     Later, when I taught at the same University, the Writing Center had reached the entire campus,but my basketball students were reluctant to go there even when they had missed a lot of classes. They were often tired and in pain. At the same time, the team became the politically correct and poetic "Golden Eagles."
     So at this time in the United States, people of all ages flock across this enormous country to see the Golden Eagles during March Madness: which American sport aficionados clearly love.
    Well, we do what we can to distract ourselves from our imperfect "best?" or "most powerful?" political morass.
              How College Athletes Are Exploited
              Does the NCAA Exploit College Athletes?


Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *